[libfabric-users] How to retrieve the source address of an incoming datagram with prov/verbs?

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Aug 27 14:52:12 PDT 2019

> Actually, I am mostly using the psm2 provider on this Intel OPA cluster. But I have
> other IB clusters to work with. On the other hand, if Intel OPA has a kernel-bypass
> verbs library, I would prefer that over psm2 because psm2 doesn't seem to provide a
> real unreliable datagram endpoint, which is the only type of communication I care
> about. The unnecessary abstraction of psm2 probably means dropping performance on the
> table for me.

Because of the underlying implementation, the psm path may perform better for smaller transfers than going through the verbs path.  The OPA hardware does not have verbs based offload capabilities, so the verbs path drops through the kernel.  The psm path can be accessed directly from user space.

I can't say for certain which one would provide better performance in your situation, since both options carry unnecessary overhead for you.