[libfabric-users] Minimum size/alignment of RMA

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Apr 10 08:14:02 PDT 2020

I have a strange bug that goes away if I rma a buffer of 128 bytes, but appears to be causing a memory corruption with 64/32/16/8/4 bytes

If I RMA get a buffer of 4 bytes - and my receive buffer is only 4 bytes - will 4 bytes be fetched, or does the provider actually do a cache line or more (128 would be 2). I can't rule out a bug in my code somewhere, but it looks as though I'm getting more memory than I expect.

After writing the above and before clicking send. I suddenly thought - alignment - I bet memory needs to be aligned properely - otherwise rma transfers will cause corruption. Are there such size/alignment restrictions?

thanks

JB