[libfabric-users] libfabric transaction ordering w.r.t. Chapel memory consistency model

Titus, Greg gregory.titus at hpe.com
Tue Feb 11 08:22:51 PST 2020

> ... how can I know when the result of a write is visible in
> the remote memory, so that I can retire the matching outstanding-write list entry?

Are you wanting the initiator or the target to know that the data is visible?  For the target, verbs indicates that the data is visible when a completion is read at the target for an operation that followed the write, or if the completion is for the write itself (i.e. carries CQ data).
The initiator.  The requirement here is that a task (Chapel's instance of sequential execution) must observe the results of its own regular reads and writes to the same address to have occurred in execution order.  I.e., when a task writes to some location and then reads from the same location, the value it reads must be the one that was written.  Similarly, when a task reads from and then writes to a location, the value read must be what the location held before the write.  Or more succinctly, within a single task, regular reads and writes to the same location cannot be reordered.  (This is for data-race-free programs, so assume no other task is referencing this same location during this period.)

> ... I also need to ensure that
> when a single task does an atomic op followed by a regular load or store, the effect of
> the atomic op on its target object is seen before the load or store references memory.

ORDER_WAW orders both atomic updates and RMA write operations against each other.  ORDER_ATOMIC_WAW and ORDER_RMA_WAW allows specifying those separately.  It sounds like ORDER_WAW (etc.) is what you want.

Beyond saying that it doesn't support FI_FENCE (as discussed below), the fi_rxm man page also says that if FI_ATOMIC is specified in the hints capabilities, FI_ORDER_{RAR,RAW,WAR,WAW,SAR,SAW} support is disabled.  It also doesn't include FI_ATOMIC in the capabilities unless you specifically request it, which may well be because of this limitation.  So I'm pretty sure I'm going to be using processor atomics done via Active Messages for remote atomic ops with ofi_rxm;verbs.

Thanks for all the feedback, Sean!  Not all the answers make me happy from a performance point of view, but at least it doesn't sound like I missed any better ways of doing things than the ones I'd come up with.

greg