[libfabric-users] question about message ordering

Hartman, John john.hartman at hpe.com
Tue Feb 8 09:28:01 PST 2022

I wanted to confirm my understanding of message ordering. The man page for FI_ORDER_WAW (for example) says

FI_ORDER_WAW
Write after write. If set, RMA and atomic write operations are transmitted in the order submitted relative to other RMA and atomic write operations. If not set, RMA and atomic writes may be transmitted out of order from their submission.

Does the term “submitted” apply to all methods of initiating an RMA, e.g. fi_inject? In other words, if the provider supports FI_ORDER_WAW can I use fi_inject to send back-to-back RMA writes without worrying that they will be received out-of-order?

John