[nvmewin] finally root caused - strange DPC watchdog issue

Luse, Paul E paul.e.luse at intel.com
Thu Jan 26 15:58:15 PST 2012

So its not Chatham and its not some complex mapping issue or crazy corner case... we were failing to set StorPortSetDeviceQueueDepth() per lun.  I knew about this but incorrectly recalled that the default was 254, its actually 20.  When I set it to 254 the odd imbalance in CPU load (and the watchdog issues) goes away.  Apparently having an optimal miniport and a heavy IO load with a low storport queue depth exposes this problem in storport as when I mix up the submit/msix cores and leave the queue depth at 20 it goes away.

I'll prepare my patch accordingly and send it out tomorrow....

Thx
Paul

Paul Luse
Sr. Staff Engineer
PCG Server Software Engineering
Desk: 480.554.3688, Mobile: 480.334.4630