[Ofa_boardplus] OFED releases

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue May 16 15:06:25 PDT 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 05:48:15PM +0000, Paul Grun wrote:
> >The only avenue left is a technical solution - someone has to fund the work to
> >actually go and create a fork that matches what the sites need, pulling from the
> >vendor forks, and do this faster than the upstream process would get it done.
>
> Would it be unreasonable to think of the EWG as being the technical
> body that could do what Jason suggests?

This 'technical solution' has to be under the technical control of the
end user that wants this, not any vendor.

The place for vendors to collaborate is upstream.

The place for users to get *exactly what they want* is in a downstream
fork.

The idea with this process is that the end user produces exactly what
*they want*, bypassing both the vendors and the upstream community.

My comment was less intended to motivate the OFA, but to suggest that
something like TOS is the proper place to integrate necessary
out-of-tree patches with the already customized kernel.

As Christoph keeps saying, end users need to make their distro
supplier, vendors and integrators aware of specifically what they need
integrated and provide the proper motivation for them to act. This
seems to require a fair amount of hands-on pushing from the end-user,
Christoph has often talked about his successes getting this done for
the features his company cares about.

Jason