[Ofa_boardplus] Meeting Minutes from 5 October 2017

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Mon Oct 9 08:48:00 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 08:29:12AM -0700, Jim Ryan wrote:

> - 7 Budget: I don't think the use of the term "hire" in various forms is
> necessarily wrong, but I believe it has connotations that aren't useful. I
> don't think the OFA should ever "hire" anyone -- all that makes sense is
> various contract services, all engaged at the discretion of the OFA

FWIW, the Linux Foundation will hire full time staff if their
Collaborative Projects can provide the budget. Other projects are
supported this way, and the LF has many people on staff under this
sort of umbrella. The LF takes care of everything except the funding.

Eg:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/careers/

If the OFA is serious about having full time paid workers then
it would make sense to revisting becoming a LF collaborative project
to gain this kind of administrative support.

The Intern approach OPNFV project is using may also be interesting for
the OFA as would be a way to fund project based development like Sean
was talking about.

Jason