[Ofa_boardplus] Draft Mission Statement

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 07:51:11 PDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 18:17 +0000, Paul Grun wrote:
> Rather than adding to the existing thread, I would ask the thread
> contributors to reprise their comments in light of the following
> draft mission statement:
>
> “The mission of the OFA is to accelerate the development and
> adoption of advanced networks for the benefit of developers and
> consumers of such networks by incubating new, (vendor independent),
> software (stacks?) (technologies?) for fabrics, (creating industry
> standard specifications,) evangelizing existing and emerging
> technologies, and by evolving and supporting existing software for
> fabrics.”

Ok, next element.  The who.  I'm not sure people understood what Paul
was trying to express.  He has a nice slide showing who the people
involved with this are, and by saying developers and consumers, he was
really covering everyone.  But, that doesn't necessarily convey as well
without the slide to explain it because people can have different
meanings of developer or consumer in their head.  It would probably be
more clear if developer and vendor were broken out into two, and maybe
even consumer and user need to split out as well.  That gets kind of
unwieldy in the end, so what about something that more directly embodies
who we think actually benefits from what we are/will be doing?
Something like "for the benefit of the entire ADNIO ecosystem"?  This
would encompass developers of new technologies, upstream open source
developers, producers, vendors, ISVs, app developers, consumers, users,
etc.  And by maintaining stable, vendor/fabric agnostic APIs and
libraries and drivers, we are doing exactly that.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD