[ofiwg] agenda for 8/12 meeting

Michael Blocksome blocksom at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 12 11:16:40 PDT 2014

I missed the webex meeting today and apologize if some of the following
was already considered for the face-to-face meeting agenda. I'd like to
discuss some of the issues related to starting a new open source project,
how to enable concurrent development, etc. No need to address these on the
mailing list, just something to think about at the meeting next week.

Also, I have some questions about the libfabrics implementation.
- Are vendors expected to implement additional 'providers' as opposed to
close-source implementation of the libfabric interface?
- If multiple libfabric implementations are allowed, how do we ensure
compatibility (required library naming conventions, etc) to allow
middleware to link/dlopen different libfabric libraries?

Thanks

----

Open source
- license, contributor agreement, etc?
- location of top level git repositories

Development process
- commit authority
- code review (sign-off) requirements?
        -- only 'blessed" (interface) files?
        -- all files?
        -- no files - sign-off not needed?
- git merge vs git rebase
        -- development branches
- release management (branches)
        -- 'stable', 'alpha', 'beta', 'next', etc
- trac database?
        -- bug reports
        -- interface changes
- how to obtain agreement on proposed interface changes
        -- early bringup - less control
        -- more interface control needed when dependent projects are
started (provider implementations, middleware prototypes, etc)

----

Michael Blocksome
Parallel Environment MPI Middleware Team Lead, TCEM
POWER, x86, and Blue Gene HPC Messaging
blocksom at us.ibm.com