[ofiwg] OFIWG MPI requirements document

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu May 29 11:23:39 PDT 2014

I converted the MPI requirements that were collected and presented by Jeff to the OFIWG into a word document table, which is attached.  Both a word and pdf formats are available from the OFIWG download site:

https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/OFIWG/OFIWG-requirements.pdf

The document captures each requirement, along with an initial indication as to whether the libfabric proposal meets the requirement or not (on a scale of 0.0 to 1.0).  A note column documents how a requirement is being met, or what is needed to meet the requirement.

There is an 'acked' column next to each requirement.  This column is intended as an approval by the requestor (i.e. the MPI community in this case).  Once a proposed solution meets a requirement and is acceptable to the requestor, it can be acked.  This seemed a reasonable way to track each requirement and ensure that feedback was provided into a final solution.

The OFIWG has not formalized any requirement tracking process, so please consider even this process as being open for discussion.  But as the OFIWG continues to discuss the higher-level architecture, I think it's worthwhile to keep these lower-level requirements in mind.

In the meantime, I will add other collected application requirements to this document.