[ofiwg] linux coding style question, or what is the libfabric interpretation of "resembles"

Howard Pritchard hppritcha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:09:50 PDT 2015

HI Folks,

A question has come up about how closely the libfabric code should adhere
to the linux coding style
<https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/CodingStyle>.

We've run a perl script
<https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/scripts/checkpatch.pl>that
checks for adherence to the linux coding style
against libfabric and it complains a lot.

The question is, how closely do we want to adhere to the linux coding style?

Should we consider adding a pre-commit hook that does style checking?
I could see this might also reduce time with PR review nit picking if the
reviewer(s) knew the that commits had to pass such a code style checking
hook.

Howard