[ofiwg] strided IOVs

Howard Pritchard hppritcha at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 10:14:52 PDT 2015

Hi Sean,

> It's been a while, but we've had several discussions around the
> introduction of 'strided IOVs'.  To recall, the goal of a strided IOV is to
> allow an application to reference every Nth element of an array using a
> compact data structure, versus the more tradition struct iovec.
>
> In order to define this properly, I need to understand what interfaces
> strided iov's make sense.  For reference, see github issue 32:
>
> https://github.com/ofiwg/libfabric/issues/32
>
> I can envision a use case for RMA, but adding this to the msg and tagged
> interfaces does not seem useful.  Is this correct?  What about atomics?

Unfortunately, I don't think one can rule out a use case for strided iov's
for tagged messages.
MPI in particular supports the notion of derived data types, including
srided types, which
can be used for send/receive of messages.  Hardware providers that have
optimizations
for these types of patterns would likely want to have such a strided iov
interface for
send/recv.