[Ofmfwg] Sunfish licensing

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 08:00:53 PDT 2023

As per our meeting today, these are the licensing terms the group
identified as the most optimal:

BSD 3 Clause

The license can be found here:
BSD 3 Clause (SPDX: BSD-3-Claus)
https://opensource.org/license/bsd-3-clause/

For managing contributions to the repositories, we selected the Developer
Certificate of Origin (aka, Signed-off-by:) as the means by which we ensure
that all incoming contributions are licensed under the same terms as the
rest of the repository and that we have clear copyright permissions to use
the contributions:
https://developercertificate.org/

These are the code repositories we propose to cover under these license
terms and what they are intended to be used for:

sunfish_library_reference - Intended to be a linkable library or consumable
code such as a python module.  It is our intent that this can be used by
any vendor without requiring that their use of this code obligates them to
release their own internal source code to the public by virtue of linking
with or using our code

sunfish_agent_reference - Intended to be a standalone RESTful API server
suitable for embedding on a microcontroller that implements the Sunfish
reference model.  It is our intent that this can be used by any vendor
without requiring that their use of this code obligates them to release
their own internal source code to the public by virtue of linking with or
using our code

sunfish_server_reference - Intended to be a program runnable on a standard
computing device that is able to scour a fabric looking for standalone
agents and provide a unified view of what the sum total of available
resources are and provides a single point of management for those agents
via a RESTful API. It is our intent that this can be used by any vendor
without requiring that their use of this code obligates them to release
their own internal source code to the public by virtue of linking with or
using our code

sunfish_manager_reference - Intended to provide a GUI management interface
on top of the sunfish_server_reference. It is our intent that this can be
used by any vendor without requiring that their use of this code obligates
them to release their own internal source code to the public by virtue of
linking with or using our code

Please take these terms back to your company's legal department and make
sure that these terms are acceptable for your company to be able to
participate in these projects.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD