[Openib-windows] Plain text and HTML mail format

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Fri Aug 12 10:50:00 PDT 2005

Here is what happens when someone uses HTML format.  See the line along the left
of the quoted message?  It doesn't break when someone starts to write something,
so in effect it does nothing - it's just a nuisance.  Which is why color is so
important - it makes up for the inherently bad quoting style provided by HTML
email.  People usually give up and top post, which makes it harder to follow a
thread.

Color doesn't make text easier to read.

Fonts don't make text easier to read, either

There's also a size issue - if you look at the message you sent, and compare the
size between the HTML format you sent and a plain text format, you will see that
the HTML is 10K while the plain text is 6K.  That's a considerable difference.
You can try this yourself to verify this - make a copy of the sent message, then
open the copy, select <Edit><Edit Message>, then <Format><Plain Text>.  Now save
the message and compare the size to the original.

When sending patches inline, it's easier if they aren't in some fancy font -
plain text lets code look like code.  It also lets the recipient save the
message and apply the patch without needing an attachment.

So plain text:

- is easier to read (for English, which is the primary language on the
openib-windows list)

- is smaller to send and receive over the network

- is harder to make careless mistakes like embedding multi-megabyte bitmaps,
tables, graphs and whatnot

- lets code look like code

- lets messages be used as patches without attachments

- provides better quoting style for putting inline responses

More comments below - if you can find them