[Openib-windows] CQ event notification in user-mode

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Wed Aug 17 14:41:02 PDT 2005

When doing async I/O, the user has to provide an OVERLAPPED structure that
remains valid for the duration of the I/O.  Since the user has to allocate that,
it's pretty easy to embed that into a larger structure in such a way that the
OVERLAPPED structure can get the user back to their object (containing record
kind of thing).  I'm leaning towards having the key in the completion port
distinguish between different types of completions (CM-related, SA-related, CQ
completion related, and affiliated/unaffiliated HW events).  The key can be used
as an initial triage mechanism, and then the overlapped provides the rest.  The
key should give enough information to allow a user to cast back to the
appropriate structure given the OVERLAPPED structure.

This approach definitely would make the implementation easier, and I think the
loss in flexibility is minimal (and reasonable).

Sound reasonable?