[ofw] WinIB SRP driver and 64k IO's?

Daniel.Cummins at schange.com Daniel.Cummins at schange.com
Tue Jun 26 09:31:50 PDT 2007

Tzachi,

You are correct.. there are 2 SG lists.. the IB scatter gather and the
StorPort scatter gather list.

The issue we are seeing is with the StorPort scatter gather list size
which seems to be limited to 16 entries (16 * 4096 page size = 64KB IO).
The reason we want this size increased is to be able to scale single
stream bandwidth by feeding the storage backend larger IOs.  Basically
pusing the latency down to the backend, keeping the disks busy while
freeing up the host.  This will give us greater bandwidth.

The StorPort scatter gather list size is controlled by setting
PORT_CONFIGURATION_INFORMATION::NumberOfPhysicalBreaks.  On entry to
srp_find_adapter() StorPort has defaulted this to 16.  I was told by
Microsoft that I should be able to set this to 254. (StorPort adds 1).
When I set this value it does not stick.  A matter of fact NT is not even
reading the location.  This was confirmed by setting a break on access to
NumberOfPhysicalBreaks just before return from FindAdapter() and hitting
GO in WinDbg.

What I did find out is that the number of map registers allocated to the
adpater is being limited to 16 by an internal call to IoGetDmaAdapter().
This function is called by NT during adapter initialization right after we
return from FindAdapter().  According to Microsoft this is what is capping
the scatter gather list size.

As it stands right now they have yet to tell me why IoGetDmaAdapter() is
limiting the number of map registers.  I will let you know once I find out
more.

Daniel Cummins
SeaChange International
32 Mill Street, Greenville, NH 03048
Phone (603) 878-6414
mailto:daniel.cummins at schange.com

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is SeaChange
International confidential.  The information enclosed is intended only for
the addressees herein and may not be copied or forwarded without
permission from SeaChange International.

Hi Steve,

There are two questions that I need to understand:
1) What SG lists are you talking about? The IB ones (post send/recive)?

2) why is 64kb not enough. Does the code send out one request and only
once it is finished it is sending the next request? Assuming you want to
reach to a BW of 1000MB/sec than this means that you should have a
request once every 64us.
Do you know if the time that it takes to handle a request is bigger that
64us?

Valimaki