[ofw] RE: [owf][patch] user multicast offload support

Yiftah Shahar yiftahs at voltaire.com
Wed Jul 2 07:33:10 PDT 2008

Hi Sean,

I'm sorry to say I disagree.

Customers and vendors can use the InfiniBand stack provided by WinOF to
create their own applications/protocols and they do not oblige to
contribute back the code.

This is the case with WinOF and also in Linux.

Does Intel-MPI, HP-MPI and MS-MPI are open src projects ?

We, as community, helping commercial MPI vendors to have better
products; We look at them as very important and our end user customers
are looking for in the HPC market.

If we want that WinOF stack will be adopted also in other markets rather
then traditional HPC then we must learn their needs and try to fill the
gaps.

We in Voltaire have a lot of experience in Windows stack in the
enterprise market (financial institutes and others) and we know that
feature like this is a mandatory for them in order to move to Windows or
even IB (we already have the same features in the Linux stack).

We encourage our customer to write and implement applications over verbs
and inputs from them can affect our stack implementation.

According your "philosophy" you will not accept any requirement to
Win-verbs from customers that are not contributing the application code
back to open src....

I agree that we need to see how to add new features without having
negative effect (or minimal as possible) on other features & development
but from here to go to the "reject all patches that will not support
WinOF released, open-source driver, library, or application" approach
the gap is huge.

Regards,

Yiftah

P.S. as you know we are adding proprietary vendors NIC extensions even
that are not in the spec when they are not effecting other
vendors....and if they are we are looking how to overcome the issues,
this is done for Linux and also for Windows (look for SRQ, 4kMTU....).