[ofw] Adding Performance Counters support for WinOF

Tzachi Dar tzachid at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jan 13 05:46:08 PST 2009

Please see bellow.

	From: Moshe Haim [mailto:Moshe-ha at orbotech.com]
	Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 4:32 PM
	To: Tzachi Dar; ofw at lists.openfabrics.org
	Subject: [ofw] Adding Performance Counters support for WinOF

	Hi Tzachi,

	A few months ago I posted the following thread, when trying to
figure out how to use WinOF counters for checking the usage over IB
(uDapl).

	http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/ofw/2008-May/002627.html

	To summarize, I suggested implementing windows performance
counters dll to be included in WinOF bundle since it looks to me as the
right thing to do in order to get that information.

	Since then, I had to drop the issue temporarily due to issues
with my product.

	I would like to get back on this soon and have several
questions:

	1.	Is there anyone that already works on adding this
feature? If so can you please point me to that person?

	I don't know of any one working on this issue. The work that
Sean mentioned doesn't seem what you want as they are working on a
library that is not a performance counter dll.

	1.	In my pervious attempts to get the performance counters
of IB I used the code inside vstat.c to retrieve the information:

		a.	Is this method of accessing the counter data the
mostly recommended method? If not, can you please point me to one?
		b.	The counter data is 32-bit long, and as far as I
recall was to be multiplied by 4 in order to get the actual number of
transferred bytes.
			This means that the counter maximum is 2^34-1,
which is only 16GB of data.
			Using IB at full or even less capacity would
fill up the counters very quickly (16 seconds in rate of 1GB/sec...).
			From this post:
http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/ofw/2008-May/002602.html I
understood there is an option of using extended 64-bit counters.
			Is this mechanism implemented in WinOF?

	 The method that in vstat is actually sending a local mad to the
hca. This is indeed the recommended method to get this data from the
port.

	Currently there is no way to get the 64 bits information, since
the hca's fw doesn't support it.

	Thanks,

	Moshe.