[ofw] Re: [ofa-general] RE: complib and cl_nodenamemap

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 6 13:12:19 PST 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:54:23 -0800
"Sean Hefty" <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

> >We clearly don't want to introduce OpenSM -> infiniband-diags dependency
> >- OpenSM now is distributable as separate tarball.
>
> I'm not suggesting adding a dependency.  I'm saying:
>
> 1. complib should be completely independent of Infiniband management on Linux.
> Having it tightly coupled with the Linux IB management subnet manager is a
> mistake that should be fixed.

Ah! ok.

> 2. cl_nodenamemap is an IB management application specific use of more generic
> complib and C-runtime libraries.  A way should be found to share the nodenamemap
> source code between those apps that does not involve complib.

Ok, but this sounds like we are going back to ibcommon even if by a different
name.

> If we do not want to move nodenamemap into a new library, then each package can
> have its own copy.  Eventually the ib-diags would not need to depend on opensm
> being installed.

The idea was to make sure that any formatting changes to the config file would
be consistent between opensm and the diags.  So far this has not happened.
However, IMHO I think it would be a step backward to have the code in 2
places.

Ira