[ofw] Where is WS2012R2 (Azure HPC with IB) support for WinOF (and uDAPL)?

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 29 16:49:28 PDT 2015

Hi Oleg,

Are you using PaaS or IaaS VM instances?  For PaaS, the Network Direct components should come preconfigured when you deploy A8 or A9 VM instances.  For IaaS, you need to install the HPC VM driver extension.  You shouldn’t install the OFED drivers themselves, as you need the user-mode driver components to match what the system is running.

For DAPL, you should install the binary redistributable available here: http://downloads.openfabrics.org/downloads/Windows/DAPL-ND/latest/

You will need to make minor changes to the dat.conf file (which I believe gets installed under d:\dat\ in the A8 and A9 VM instances).  The default entry in dat.conf looks like:

ND0 u2.0 nonthreadsafe default C:\Windows\system32\dapl2-ND.dll ri.2.0 "ND0 1" ""

The path to the system directory isn’t right for Azure A8 and A9 nodes, so you will want to change it to the following:

ND0 u2.0 nonthreadsafe default "%SYSTEMROOT%\\system32\\dapl2-ND.dll" ri.2.0 "ND0 1" ""

DAPL by default will pick the first IPv4 address, but if you run into trouble here you can explicitly specify the netmask of the interface to use.  For Azure A8 and A9 nodes, this would look like:

ND0 u2.0 nonthreadsafe default "%SYSTEMROOT%\\system32\\dapl2-ND.dll" ri.2.0 "ND0_172.16.0.0/16 1" ""

I’ve CC’d the Microsoft MPI team here, who own the RDMA infrastructure component in Azure.  Feel free to contact the team using that email address if you run into issues.  I’ve also CC’d Stan Smith at Intel, who maintains the Windows DAPL redistributable.  Note that the SVN server (if you check out sources) had an issue a little bit ago, so building your own package is likely to give you issues - best to use the binary package.  If you do find that you need to build from sources, please ping Stan for help getting the right source bits.

Holler if you run into any issues!
-Fab