[Users] maybe a RDMAoE Howto?

Kevin J Moran kmoran at systemfabricworks.com
Wed Jun 10 10:17:18 PDT 2015

Chuck,

There are a few options.

    1) Easiest path, change out your NIC's for an appropriate RDMA
    enabled NIC (RNic) and run hardware based RoCE. This may include
    needing to change OS since I am not 100% sure on where the various
    vendors stand on Debian support.

    2) More adventourous option, SoftRoCE or RXE. This option will work
    better in time since the SoftRXE distribution is under new
    development and we are getting close to a new release. At the Open
    Fabrics Workshop last March there was a presentation that covered
    this project
    (https://www.openfabrics.org/images/eventpresos/workshops2015/DevWorkshop/Tuesday/tuesday_14.pdf).

    If you would like to participate in the testing of this new
    repository there is a wiki page on the community git repository
    (https://github.com/SoftRoCE/rxe-dev/wiki/rxe-dev:-Home) that
    describes how to get the latest development code running.  This is
    currently running on Ubuntu, Redhat/Centos, and Fedora but we do not
    have a dedicated Debian effort.

    We welcome all "testers" during this current phase but stress that
    we are in the development phase and this distribution is subject to
    change regularly.  We also welcome any issues found to be logged
    with the appropriate amount of detail to the github issues section
    of the community repo (https://github.com/SoftRoCE/rxe-dev/issues).

Best regards,

Kevin J. Moran

On 6/10/15 11:11 AM, Charles Williams wrote:
> hey all,
>
> new to the list and have a question.
>
> We currently have 2 servers that we would like to connect using RDMAoE.
> These servers are running Debian Wheezy with dual 10G intel NICs each.
>
> I found information here http://www.systemfabricworks.com/downloads/roce
> telling me to download here http://198.171.48.62/pub/OFED-1.5.2-rxe.tgz
>
> Unfortunately the package is a bunch of source RPMs and of little to no
> use unless I would enjoy torturing myself by plucking apart the .spec
> file to generate a DEBIAN directory per hand for each package.
>
> After searching for another day I stumbled across
> https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads and no information how to get the
> rxe package/options enabled, and
> https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-ofed which seems to be woefully
> out of date.
>
> Does anyone have ANY actual information on RDMAoE and maybe, just maybe,
> an actual howto on compiling for it. Generating DEBs once I know what
> I'm doing will not be to hard.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck
>

> unfortunately