[libfabric-users] Paper from the ISO C++ meeting last week

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Feb 24 05:40:19 PST 2020

There have been ofiwg discussions in the past about extending C++ to support fabrics, with the implementation layering over libfabric.  Those centered on aligning with ASIO.  And just to be clear, this was not about creating a C++ interface over libfabric.

Chris (copied) is the person who has been driving most of the actual work.
<

The model proposed in the paper deviates from that used in asio and reflects a change in possible course of the networking TS that better fits with the async abstractions introduced by senders/receivers and the executors, coroutines etc etc.

The thing that struck me was how well the current libfabric API fits to the example used in the paper - (it seemed to me like fairly small changes in libfabric could be made to produce a c++ conformant library - if the new approach to networking is adopted - which is of course a large if). Note that I have not really paid attention to previous asio papers so I just thought I'd post the new paper as a heads up in case anyone was interested.

JB