[ofw] WDK build environment migration thoughts

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Wed Apr 30 12:40:59 PDT 2008

It's not just the branches.  Part of the problem is that I cannot commit changes
locally, then update them later, before pushing out a single set of changes.

For example, while I'm working on a set of changes related to implementing
WinVerbs, I discover that some changes are needed in ib_types, or ib_ci.
There's not an easy way for me to encapsulate those changes separately.  And if
multiple, unrelated changes need to go into those same files, the problem gets
worse.  I frequently come across areas of code that need to be modified while
working on unrelated changes, and svn makes dealing with this situation
difficult.

So, I view part of the problem as a developer issue, but the tools aren't
helping us.  I tried using git on windows, but hit into several issues trying to
maintain patches in git but keeping in sync with the svn repository upstream.
Part of the problem was the differences in line endings between Windows and
Unix, which resulted in changed files showing every line as different.

Maybe there are some patch management tools that layer over svn repositories
that can help with this.

- Sean

I believe that the main reason that we have came to this mess with SVN was
because almost all development activity was done in separate branches. (I
believe that there have been more branches than active developers).

There was also a problem with the compiler that we probably didn't solve in the
correct way. This problem has forced us to open more branches as well.

I believe that now that we are over this problems, things should probably work
better.

In any case, it is possibale that git will work better than SVN, but we are not
really sure that it will work well on windows. We need someone brave enough to
try working with it for some time.

Please also note that in the coming SVN release it should support branching,
which might also make our lives simpler.

  _____