[libfabric-users] A couple more questions

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon Feb 27 08:52:27 PST 2017

> I have a new problem – I am sending receiving messages using endpoints
> of type FI_EP_MSG  (verbs+gni) and all is well. However, when I attempt
> an fi_read(….) I get a segfault. Looking at the code I see that inside
> fi_rma.h the ep->rma field is uninitialized. In my hints I use

Is there any chance you're treating a passive endpoint as an active endpoint?

Typically if a feature is not supported, the provider is supposed to set all function pointers to 'enosys' versions of the calls that simply return a failure if called.  There may be cases where the provider isn't doing this.  This would fix the segfault, but not actually get things working.

>             fabric_hints_->caps = FI_MSG | FI_RMA;

This is correct

> so I assumed that I’d get support for both, but I must need to ask for
> more somewhere to get rma support working.
> What might I be missing that causes the ep->rma internals to be unset?

We need more details to figure this out.

> One clue might be from the fabric logging that say this
> libfabric:verbs:fabric:fi_ibv_getifaddrs():854<debug> Found active
> interface for verbs device: mlx5_0 with address: 192.168.3.37
> libfabric:verbs:fabric:fi_ibv_create_ep():183<info> rdma_create_ep:
> Invalid argument(22)
> libfabric:verbs:fabric:fi_ibv_create_ep():183<info> rdma_create_ep:
> Invalid argument(22)
> when I call getinfo, but I am not able to tell which argument (hint?)
> this refers to. I mention it ‘just in case’ it helps.

These errors are coming from lower libraries, and may or may not indicate a problem.  Not very helpful, I know...