[libfabric-users] Help with implementing OpenCoarrays using OFI

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 08:16:44 PST 2017

I suspect the goal is to move down the stack to eliminate dependencies that
make robust integration with GCC harder.

As far as I know, GASNet isn’t capable of dynamically loading different
conduits, which is what one would want for shipping GCC binaries  that
needed to be used on systems with a range of interconnects.

OpenCoarrays already uses OFI transparently when it’s behind an MPI-3
library. In theory - but rarely in practice - MPI-3 RMA performs as well if
not better than GASNet.

Jeff

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM Howard Pritchard <hppritcha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alessandro,
>
> Looking at the code at https://github.com/sourceryinstitute/OpenCoarrays,
> I'd say the fastest way to get OpenCoarrays to work on top of OFI would
> just be to get the latest GASNet with OFI support, and make sure you
> build/install GASNet with the OFI conduit enabled.
>
> the OFI libfabric API is pretty complex, and looking at the code at the
> above repo, it would be a major effort to interface a low level API like
> libfabric directly in to this OpenCoarrays code.
>
> But then again, if you have an abundance of time, it might be worth
> investigating.
>
> Howard

> alessandro.fanfarillo at gmail.com>:
>
>> Thanks Jeff, very helpful.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > https://github.com/charlesarcher/openshmem-tutorial should be relevant.
>> > Might not be using the latest API but it should be easy enough to fix.
>> >
>> > Jeff
>> >
>> > Sent from my iPhone
>> >
>> > On Nov 17, 2017, at 1:57 PM, Alessandro Fanfarillo
>> > <alessandro.fanfarillo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear all,
>> > I would like to implement the OpenCoarrays library (opencoarrays.org),
>> > used by the GNU Fortran to support Coarray Fortran, on top of OFI.
>> > Having some kind of guidance to start this new effort would be very
>> > helpful, do you have any recommended readings (I've already read
>> > https://github.com/ofiwg/ofi-guide/blob/master/OFIGuide.md)? Do you
>> > plan to provide a course anytime soon?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance.
>> >
>> > Alessandro